I have always known that the wiring loom goes the wrong way round the steering head and it strains the loom when on full lock. I hadn’t worried too much as you don’t often go full lock in normal riding. However it was on the list so….
I took the headlight apart and disconnected everything. I pulled the loom carefully back through the headlight and back through the head stock. I then threaded it correctly up from below and back into the headlight. I disconnected everything with great confidence that its all colour coded and a ‘how difficult can it be’ attitude. Well, when you are then faced with a great tangle of wires it can seem pretty difficult. Haynes manual to the rescue along with camping chair and mug of tea. Once you get going you realise that half the wires have different connectors on and can only reconnect one way. Half an hour and I had it reconnected and headlight back in.
I quite often visit the CMSNL website which is a big European parts store. I often go through the available parts list and things are marked as unavailable which I assume means they are now obsolete and that’s it forever. Alongside these parts that are not available you can mark the item to be notified if it comes back into stock. Ages ago I had marked the number plate bracket in this way. I never ever thought anything would come of it and kept watching eBay just in case. I had bolted the number plate directly onto the rear light assembly last year but this annoyed me as I knew it wasn’t right. Well, with CMSNL I don’t know whether its a case of, if they get enough interest they request a production run or what but the number plate bracket came back into stock and I splashed out my 20 quid and got one.
I know its only a really minor detail and doesn’t make the bike run any better but it was really satisfying for me to get the bit and have it how its supposed to be. I bought a new number plate to go with the new bracket. I even re-painted the spokes
I am now ready for the MOT.